Falls Church, Virginia, International Child Custody Lawyers

Determining custody and visitation rights in cases involving non-citizen spouses living outside of the United States can be complicated. While there is a body of international law - including the Hague Convention and various country-specific treaties - which govern aspects of divorce and child custody determinations, asserting and defending parental rights requires an attorney experienced in international family law. At the law office of Maddox & Gerock, P.C., we work with law enforcement, local courts, embassies and the State Department in cases involving international child custody disputes. Whether you are facing an international divorce or are currently trying to exert your parental rights in a foreign nation, we have the experience and resources to help you.

Protect your rights and those of your children: contact international child custody attorneys at the law office of Maddox & Gerock, P.C. today to schedule an appointment to discuss your case.

Determining Child Custody

In the United States, the court will always award custody based on what it believes to be in the best interests of a child. In doing so, the court will consider the financial, employment, health and personal situation of each parent. If the court believes it is best to award custody to a non-citizen spouse, you can still retain visitation rights enforceable under U.S. law. If abduction is a concern, our attorneys can request that a child's passport be held until custody is determined.

Overseas Divorce, Child Relocation and International Child Custody Rights

International child custody rights are often enforced according to treaties held between countries and the Hague Convention. How custody is awarded or viewed can be affected by country-specific laws, and by where a divorce was granted. In cases where no treaty exists or divorce laws are radically different, obtaining child custody may require the involvement of the State Department and the local U.S. embassy.

If an ex-spouse unlawfully returns to his or her home country with your children, it may be necessary to issue a federal Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution (UFAP) warrant. If he or she has a U.S. passport, there may be ways to block his or her travel or entry into his or her home country.

Contact International Child Custody Attorneys Maddox & Gerock, P.C.

International child custody can be very complex. The court must consider the Hague convention, U.S. law, the interests of the children, the citizenship status of the parents involved and a number of other factors. At the law office of Maddox & Gerock, P.C., we have the experience and knowledge to protect and assert your rights while using the law in your favor to prevent child abduction.

To schedule an appointment and discuss your case, contact international family law attorneys at the law office of Maddox & Gerock, P.C. today.