LGBT Family Law Attorneys

One of the greatest challenges for LGBT couples in Virginia is that same-sex marriage is not currently recognized here. This is true even if the couple was married in a state where it is legal.

This can have a rippling effect on a number of issues. For instance, if you were married legally in D.C., but now you live in Virginia, you will be unable to get divorced in Virginia or have any marital rights recognized by the courts. This causes problems in regard to the enforceability of premarital agreements, visitation schedules and more.

When you are trying to navigate a difficult LGBT family law issue, you need wise advice from a knowledgeable and compassionate attorney. At Maddox & Gerock, we offer personalized attention to every client. By listening to your particular concerns, we can tailor our services to your specific needs and goals. We have attorneys licensed in D.C. and Maryland as well as in Virginia.

Our lawyers handle issues involving:

  • Same-sex divorce (DC, MD)
  • Dissolution of domestic partnerships (DC, MD)
  • Property division and settlement agreements
  • Custody and visitation disputes
  • Other legal concerns

When Litigation is Necessary

While many couples are able to reach satisfactory agreements regarding property division, child custody and visitation, spousal support and other matters, there are sometimes good faith differences of opinion that cannot be resolved by agreement and instead require litigation.

In these cases, our attorneys for same-sex family law work hard to fully prepare the case for trial. We believe in the great benefit that can be derived from alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation, and we encourage clients to explore those options first. However, we will never hesitate to litigate if necessary to guard your interests.

Schedule a Consultation

To find out more about the same-sex laws in Virginia and how to protect your rights, contact Maddox & Gerock today. Either call our Falls Church office at 703-883-8035 or contact us via email to arrange a consultation.