Julie Curran Gerock
Julie Curran Gerock is a partner with Maddox & Gerock, P.C., in Falls Church, Virginia. She has been a family law attorney since 1999, representing her clients in complex cases, including equitable distribution, spousal support, child support, child custody, visitation and relocation, as well as international family law cases. She is licensed to practice law in Virginia, the District of Columbia and North Carolina. She is an active member of the Virginia State Bar, Fairfax County Bar Association, International Academy of Family Lawyers, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association and American Bar Association.
Ms. Gerock began her law career in Charlotte, North Carolina, working with a small firm. In less than three years, she built a successful domestic relations practice and was quickly named as a partner of the firm. She sat on numerous family law committees, was a CLE presenter and a moot court judge for a local high school competition.
In 2005, when Ms. Gerock relocated to northern Virginia, her experience, dedication and compassion quickly distinguished Ms. Gerock from many other family law attorneys, gaining her the respect of judges, opposing counsel and her clients. Before joining Maddox & Gerock, P.C., Ms. Gerock practiced law with the firm of Ain & Bank, P.C., in Washington, D.C.
Ms. Gerock was recently recognized in the 2019 and 2020 Edition of Best Lawyers in America for Family Law. She has also been named by Washingtonian Magazine as one of DC's Best Divorce Lawyers in 2008, and each year since 2016. In 2019 she was named by Virginia Lawyers Weekly as an Influential Woman in the Law. She is AV Preeminent peer-review rated through Martindale-Hubble, the highest rating, since 2013, to include the Judicial Edition AV Preeminent rating since 2018. She has been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers in Virginia since 2011 to include being named in the Top 50 Women Attorneys' list 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 and the Top 100 Virginia Super Lawyers list in 2018, 2019, 2020. She has also been named as a Top Lawyer by Northern Virginia Magazine.
Ms. Gerock is actively involved in many local and state bar activities and has served on a number of committees, including: the executive committee of the Fairfax Law Foundation and which she served as President for 2019/2020, Fairfax Circuit Court Committee, and the Fairfax Circuit Court Domestic Relations Sub-Committee; various committees of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association to include as a Governor At Large on the Board of Governors of the VTLA Board, family law section, Chair of the Women’s Caucus for 2019/2020, the Judicial Screening committee, the Budget & Finance committee, the Convention Committee and past- chair of the Membership committee; the Virginia Family Law Coalition; the Board of the Young Lawyers Section of the Fairfax Bar Association; and the Judicial Screening Committee of the Fairfax Bar Association.
Ms. Gerock has also volunteered as an attorney court tour guide for Fairfax County middle school students, a pro bono custody mediation attorney, a speaker to at-risk youth through the Devonshire Project, as a conciliator for the Fairfax County Circuit Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court and as an attorney facilitator for the District of Columbia Superior Court.
Ms. Gerock and her law partner, Katharine Maddox, have co-authored a chapter in the European Lawyer Reference Series: Issues in International Family Law, which was published in 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017, and a pending publication in 2020. She has also co-authored an article with a former colleague on the topic of separate maintenance published in the Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Summer 2015.
Ms. Gerock is also committed to her family and community activities. She was a Girl Scout leader for her daughter's troop for eight years and previously worked as a family readiness volunteer during Operation Enduring Freedom for her husband's Air National Guard unit, assisting the families of military spouses who were being deployed.
Ms. Gerock has been married to her Air Force husband since 1999. They reside in Fairfax County, Virginia, with their daughter, dogs, and cats. She enjoys spending time with her family and friends, traveling, dancing and enjoying outdoor activities.
Areas Of Practice
- Child Support
- Collaborative Law
- Custody & Visitation
- Equitable Distribution
- International Family Law
- Spousal Support
- North Carolina, 1999
- District of Columbia, 2006
- Virginia, 2006
- Boston College Law School, Newton, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1998
- University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL
- B.A. - 1994
- Major: Marine Affairs
- Minor: Business and Secondary Education
- People Unlimited Consulting, Inc. v. B & A Industries, LLC, N.C. App. LEXIS 1269, 2003, N.C. Ct. App. July 1, 2003
- Navarro-Bowman v. Bowman, 2007, Fairfax Circuit Court
Classes / Seminars
- Environmental Law, Boston College, 1998 to 1998
- “Military Divorce, Custody and more”: Annual Family Law Seminar (Fairfax location), Moderator, VTLA, 2012 to 2012
- Co-Author of Section related to family law in USA-Virginia, Contributing Author: Family Law: Jurisdictional Comparisons, Thomson Reuters (Professional) UK Limited, European Lawyer Reference, 2011 to 2011
- “There’s a Case for That” - Annual Family Law Seminar, Lecturer, VTLA, 2011 to 2011
- “Sex, Lies and the Internet”, Lecturer, International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2011 to 2011
Honors and Awards
- Virginia Super Lawyers: 2011-2020
- Virginia Super Lawyers Top 50 Women: 2013-2015, 2018-2020
- Virginia Super Lawyers Top 100 Lawyers: 2018-2020
- Washingtonian Magazine: 2008, 2016-2019
- AV Preeminent: 2013-present
- AV Judicial Edition: 2018-present
- Influential Women in the Law, Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2019
- Best Lawyers 2019, 2020
- Top Lawyer, Northern Virginia Magazine: 2017, 2018
- Virginia Business Magazine, Legal Elite: 2017
- AVVO Superb Rating- 10: 2013-present
- Fairfax Bar Association President’s Award: 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia State Bar, Member
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Member and Family Law Section Board Member
- Fairfax Bar Association, Member
- Virginia Women Attorneys Association, Member
- International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Bar Association, Member
- Fairfax Circuit Court and Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court, Committee Member and Motion’s Day Conciliator
- Northern Virginia Pro Bono Law Center Volunteer
- Devonshire Project: Fairfax Bar Association, volunteer speaker
- North Carolina State Bar, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- Girl Scout Leader- 2009-present
Fraternities / Sororities
- Kappa Kappa Gamma