Scott M. Weinbaum
As a child of parents who divorced later in his life, as well as a father, Scott has unique insight into the everyday challenges which clients and their children face.
Scott handles many types of cases within the field of family law including physical and legal custodial arrangements, spousal support, child support, division of assets and debts, marital settlement agreements, no-fault and fault-based divorces, same-sex divorces, and post-divorce matters. He has a passion for cases involving the division of complicated assets.
Scott also has an interest in legal writing and has been published in Virginia Family Law Quarterly. He has also presented at continuing legal education classes on multiple family law topics as well as "Second Saturday", a divorce advice workshop.
Scott began working at Maddox & Gerock in April of 2014 and was elevated to the position of Partner in August 2019. Prior to joining Maddox & Gerock, Scott worked for a general practice firm in Herndon, Virginia for several years where he settled, mediated and litigated cases in family law as well as other areas.
Scott obtained his Juris Doctor from George Mason University School of Law and is licensed to practice law in Virginia. During law school, Scott served as Vice Justice of the school's chapter of Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, a professional law fraternity dedicated to the service of the student, the school and the legal profession. He also served as a Student Mentor for first-year students.
Prior to law school, Scott obtained his Bachelor's Degree in Government & Politics, from the University of Maryland - College Park where he developed his interest in the law.
Scott is a founding member of the Arlington Bar Association Young Lawyers Section where he served as a board member and as the Liaison to the Fairfax Bar Association Young Lawyers Section for three years. He is also a member of the Virginia State Bar, American Bar Association, Arlington Bar Association and Fairfax Bar Association.
Scott is an avid sports fan. He lives in West Springfield with his wife, Alissa, their son, Simon, and their dog, Harvey.
Areas Of Practice
- High Asset Divorce
- Child Support
- Custody & Visitation
- Equitable Distribution
- Spousal Support
- Same-Sex Divorce
- Post-Divorce Matters
- Virginia, 2012
- George Mason University School of Law, Arlington, Virginia
- J.D. - 2012
- University of Maryland-College Park, College Park, Maryland
- B.A. - 2009
- Major: Government & Politics
- Pets in Divorce Cases: Property No More?, Virginia Family Law Quarterly, Winter, 2017
- Retirement Assets: What's Mine and What's Uncle Sam's?, Virgina Family Law Quarterly, Fall, 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Young Lawyers Board, Arlington Bar Association, Board Member, Fairfax Liaison, 2015 - 2018
- Arlington Bar Association, Member, 2014 - Present
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 2014 to Present
- Virginia State Bar, Member, 2012 - Present
- American Bar Association, Member, 2012 - Present
- Fairfax Bar Association, Member, 2011 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- The Herndon Law Firm, PLC, Associate, 2012 to 2014