- Katharine Maddox and Julie Gerock are co-authors of the most recent overview of Virginia law published in the 5th Edition of the Family Law Global Guide published by Thomson Reuters. Family law in the United States: Virginia: overview
- Katharine Maddox elected in 2019 for her first term as a Vice President of the USA Chapter of the International Academy of Family Lawyers.
- Julie C. Gerock selected for a President’s Award by the Fairfax Bar Association, June 2019.
- Julie C. Gerock selected as President of the Fairfax Law Foundation for 2019-2020.
- Julie C. Gerock selected as Chair of the Women’s Caucus of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association for 2019-2020.
- Katharine Maddox is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
- Julie C. Gerock selected as one of the top 50 Women and one of the top 100 Attorneys in the Virginia Super Lawyers, 2019 edition.
- Julie C. Gerock and Katharine Maddox again selected as Virginia Super Lawyers in the 2019 edition. Both have also been included in the for DC Super Lawyers editions.
- Julie C. Gerock named as an Influential Woman in the Law by Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2019.
- Julie C. Gerock and Katharine Maddox again selected by Northern Virginia Magazine as two of the top domestic relations lawyers in 2018.
- Julie C. Gerock listed as a top divorce attorney by Washingtonian Magazine.
- Julie C. Gerock listed as a Best Lawyer for 2019.
- Julie C. Gerock has received the Martindale Hubbell AV Judicial Rating and the Judicial Edition Rating.
- Scott Weinbaum selected as a Rising Star in the Super Lawyers 2019 edition.
- Julie C. Gerock and Katharine Maddox both rated 10 out of 10 on the AVVO ratings website.
Effective January 31, 2020, Maddox & Gerock is thrilled to announce that Dennis M. Hottell, founder of Hottell Family Law Group, has joined Maddox & Gerock in the prestigious role of Senior Counsel. As Senior Counsel, Dennis will continue to advise and represent clients throughout Northern Virginia on difficult family and matrimonial issues. Dennis brings with him more than 40 years of legal experience and a successful and solid reputation for zealous advocacy, outstanding trial skills, keen negotiation, and tireless dedication to the improvement of the legal system as it relates to families and children. Dennis is distinguished as a Certified Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL), and is the Past President of the Virginia Chapter of the AAML. His outstanding legal skills are also recognized by Martindale-Hubble who consistently awards Dennis the highest ranking as an AV-rated attorney.
Dennis is widely recognized in the Commonwealth of Virginia for his acute insights into complex family law issues and has been honored and featured as a “Super Lawyer” in Virginia Super Lawyers Magazine, a “Top Divorce Lawyer” by Northern Virginia Magazine, and has been listed among the “Best Lawyers in America.”
Dennis is also long-standing member of the Virginia Bar Association’s Family Law Coalition and was tasked with drafting the Coaltion’s recommendations regarding legislation to the Virginia General Assembly on the issues of Third Party Custody and Domestic Abuse and Intimate Partner Violence in Custody Cases. Dennis also serves on the Governor’s Virginia Child Support Guideline Review Panel.
Along with Dennis, Dean Kime joins Maddox & Gerock who worked with Dennis as part of Hottell Family Law Group since graduating from William & Mary Law School. Dean’s experience includes the drafting of settlement proposals, complaints for divorce, petitions for custody, and other court documents. Dean has successfully argued and litigated custody and visitation issues as well as argued nuanced and complex legal issues.
The joining of forces between Dennis, and the team of lawyers at Maddox & Gerock, including founders Katharine Maddox and Julie Gerock, and partners Scott Weinbaum and Tashina Gorgone, will enhance and compliment the firm’s established ability to provide those in need of legal advice with the experience, compassion, dedication, and legal resources necessary to handle complex family law issues.