Call Now To Schedule A Consultation
Maddox & Gerock, P.C.

Changing support payments: What you should know

The global pandemic has caused an undue amount of stress for many people. In many cases, this stress is emotional, physical and even financial. After all, many people across Virginia might have been furloughed or lost their jobs due to business closures.

In these cases of financial stress, individuals who have an obligation to pay child support or spousal support might wonder what they should do if they cannot fulfill those obligations at this time.

Is it possible to adjust support payments?

The answer to this question depends on one’s circumstances. In any situation where individuals seek to modify their support obligations, they often must prove that they experienced a significant change in their financial or material circumstances.

For example, when it comes to child support, parents can petition to modify their support payments if:

  • They lost their job or face reduced income by 25%;
  • Expenses to meet the child’s needs significantly change; or
  • There is a change in the custody order.

Generally, it is always possible to modify child support payments under these terms and after the initial order has been in effect for three years. However, parents should consult the guidelines the Department of Social Services published regarding the unique COVID-19 situation and child support modifications.

Modifying spousal support might be more of a challenge

On the other hand, adjusting one’s spousal support obligations might not be quite as simple. For example, spouses might not be able to modify their support obligations if:

If one’s situation does not meet either of these conditions, they can move forward with modifying their spousal support payments. Regardless, it might be beneficial for individuals to consult an experienced family law attorney to determine how they can move forward without exacerbating their already stressful financial situation.

Changing either child support or spousal support is not automatic. Individuals will have to discuss the proposed changes with their ex-spouse and file a petition to change court-ordered support agreements.

However, during these challenging times, individuals who cannot make their usual support payments should consider this option to relieve their stress as well as avoid the consequences of missing support payments.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for a response

Need Help? Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

Maddox & Gerock, P.C.
8111 Gatehouse Road
Suite 410
Falls Church, VA 22042

Phone: 703-239-7006
Phone: 703-883-8035
Fax: 703-356-6120
Map & Directions
Falls Church Law Office Map

Contact US: